"I am proud to be a Seisen former student because you are part of a special community and way of being for the rest of your life. The standard of excellence and love that we experienced at Seisen provided a solid foundation for our futures and life-long friendships. "
Marga Donehoo-van der Lugt class of 1974
1) What are your fondest memories of Seisen International School?
Belonging. We did things together. In several aspects we were quite different, but there was no doubt that you were Seisen – engaged and cared about.
2) How did your education at Seisen influence your career path?
- Becoming comfortable with speaking up and taking a lead. I actually came in rather shy.
- The teaching style at Seisen was very much about exploring our thoughts and questions on topics. It was a mature and maturing approach.
- We learned to do what needed doing. Part of this was from being the “oldest” every year and working with the school and parents to build a new academic level, plus extracurricular activities. Part of it is certainly from being an all-girls school. Fundamentally, I believe that this is the heritage of the Sisters and the founding of Seisen. Share a vision and make it happen.
3) What life advice would you give current students?
Lead with respect – look, listen, learn and teach. Appreciate what is important to others, butstay true to yourself, who you are, where you come from and core values. Character matters. Enjoy the exhilaration of opening your mind and exploring. Enjoy the quiet times too.
You can lead and make things better in many ways and from many positions. Do what needs doing and care for others along the way.
Class of: 1974 - the first graduating class (Valedictorian)
Nationality: Dutch (born in Surabaya - Dutch father, Indonesian mother, raised internationally) and USA (naturalized citizen). Currently living with husband, Rick, in the Netherlands.
Higher Education: University of Alberta: BA major English Literature (1978), MBA major Marketing (1980); TIAS Business School: Executive Development Program (2010)
- Fluor Engineering & Construction (1980-2007): started in field office management and developed progressively to manager of Project Controls, Continuous Performance Improvement, and Marketing
- DHV and Royal Haskoning DHV Engineering Consultancy (2007-2015): member of executive and management teams as global director of respectively Corporate Initiatives, Human Resources, and Leadership & Talent Development
- Independent Management Consultant (2015-current): coaching individuals and management teams
- Classical music: sponsor of the Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam, with a special focus on the Academy to develop young musicians and social outreach
- Travel: we like to combine interesting travels with visiting friends & family and orchestra tours
- Reading & continuous learning: avid reader for work and pleasure; donor and Family member of the John Adams Institute, an independent podium for American Culture in the Netherlands; various work related certifications