The IB has made an important announcement about the May 2023 IB DP Exam Session
High School (Grades 9-12)
The IB Middle Years (MYP) and Diploma Programs (DP) provide a framework aligned with our school mission for students to develop and share their passion for learning through leadership and service
Learning in the High School
At Seisen International School, our High School students develop a love for learning through leadership, social justice, and service. Students grow through the lens of the Seisen Student and Teacher Profile to think critically and effect change through reflection and action. The rigorous IB Middle Years and Diploma Program frameworks allow students to explore different avenues of conceptual learning, while challenging themselves to question knowledge while developing a global mindset. Student leadership opportunities abound within our learning community through academics, athletics, student council, extracurriculars, and our experiential learning program. These programs create unique experiences for students to explore their passions and instill a love of learning in their peers. Students build community and develop lasting relationships through peer mentorship in vertical advisory groups. Seisen International High School students are committed to celebrating diversity, taking deliberate actions to make sure all are included, and to strive for true equality.
IB Middle Years and Diploma Programmes
Grade 9 and 10 students study eight concept-driven courses each year as part of the IB Middle Years Programme. In Grade 10, students will complete the MYP Personal Project which allows them to connect classroom learning engagements with personal experience. In Grades 11 and 12, students will participate in the IB Diploma Programme, choosing six subject areas to study from a range of options at different levels. Students will also engage with a Theory of Knowledge (TOK) course, complete an extended essay (EE), and explore learning opportunities through creativity, activity, and service (CAS).
Learners build confidence in managing their own learning
Learners develop an understanding of global challenges and a commitment to act as responsible global citizens
Learners engage with a challenging and relevant curriculum
A focus on the Learner Profile facilitates students' growing understanding of self, openness to others and builds global-mindedness
Learners thrive in an environment centered around conceptual understandings and global contexts
Learners develop higher-order critical and creative thinking skills
Learners prepare for and gain entry to competitive universities and colleges around the world
Science Technology Engineering Art Math (STEAM)
- Seisen 'Firebird' International competitive science team with a focus on design and developing solutions in a complex world
- Student-led STEAM extracurricular clubs: AI, UI/UX, Medical Careers Club, Environmental Action Initiative, Empty Bowls, and more
- UKMT Mathematics Challenge and Math Field Day event
- Annual Big Science Day event with notable guest speakers
- DP students share their art portfolios each year in a state-of-the-art studio located in the heart of Tokyo
- MYP Design program and labs for design technology, digital design, and programming
Highlights from the High School
- Leadership opportunities and development in an all-girls environment in academic and extracurricular settings
- Student-led and initiated extracurricular clubs: TEDxSeisen, Anti-Racism Education Alliance, Worthy Purpose Club, and more
- Competitive athletics program with participation in local and international leagues
- Duke of Edinburgh Award program
- Commitment to service through action
- Robust choral and instrumental programs
- Vertically-designed advisory system for peer support
- Experiential learning classes set within the regular schedule
- Dedicated grade level trips within Japan and internationally
- Extracurricular offerings including MUN, Debate, Speech, Brainbowl, and more
Sharing of information between students, school and parents help ensure success for students in the IB Diploma Programme.
In order for students to take greater ownership of their learning, they need to feel empowered to move forward in their journey.
On Tuesday, August 31st Grade 11 students kickstarted their CAS journeys in a morning session with Ms. Kotowich, our CAS Coordinator.
the 2021 candidates have a lot to be proud of.
Tips from Mr Bevan on how to make the most of the DP.
Grade 9 students have begun preparation for the Personal Project, the culmination of their MYP journey
How to use past papers and mark schemes to focus your exam revision
Adaptations to exams will be extended for the May 2022 and November 2022 sessions.
Timeline for Grade 10 IBDP subject selections
As the school year progresses all DP students need to think about how they manage their workload.
Tips to help support your daughter - Advice from the DP Coordinator
The MYP assessment model helps students, teachers and parents see not only past progress, but also future steps.
Mr Bevan held sessions with parents of Grade 11 and 12 students about diploma programme.
Mr Granger, the Seisen Theory of Knowledge Coordinator explains the role of ToK in the Diploma Program.