To help students make their course selections for the DP information sessions will be held over the course of three weeks.
High School (Grades 9-12)
The IB Middle Years (MYP) and Diploma Programs (DP) provide a framework aligned with our school mission for students to develop and share their passion for learning through leadership and service
Learning in the High School
At Seisen International School, our High School students develop a love for learning through leadership, social justice, and service. Students grow through the lens of the Seisen Student and Teacher Profile to think critically and effect change through reflection and action. The rigorous IB Middle Years and Diploma Program frameworks allow students to explore different avenues of conceptual learning, while challenging themselves to question knowledge while developing a global mindset. Student leadership opportunities abound within our learning community through academics, athletics, student council, extracurriculars, and our experiential learning program. These programs create unique experiences for students to explore their passions and instill a love of learning in their peers. Students build community and develop lasting relationships through peer mentorship in vertical advisory groups. Seisen International High School students are committed to celebrating diversity, taking deliberate actions to make sure all are included, and to strive for true equality.
IB Middle Years and Diploma Programmes
Grade 9 and 10 students study eight concept-driven courses each year as part of the IB Middle Years Programme. In Grade 10, students will complete the MYP Personal Project which allows them to connect classroom learning engagements with personal experience. In Grades 11 and 12, students will participate in the IB Diploma Programme, choosing six subject areas to study from a range of options at different levels. Students will also engage with a Theory of Knowledge (TOK) course, complete an extended essay (EE), and explore learning opportunities through creativity, activity, and service (CAS).
Learners build confidence in managing their own learning
Learners develop an understanding of global challenges and a commitment to act as responsible global citizens
Learners engage with a challenging and relevant curriculum
A focus on the Learner Profile facilitates students' growing understanding of self, openness to others and builds global-mindedness
Learners thrive in an environment centered around conceptual understandings and global contexts
Learners develop higher-order critical and creative thinking skills
Learners prepare for and gain entry to competitive universities and colleges around the world
Science Technology Engineering Art Math (STEAM)
- Seisen 'Firebird' International competitive science team with a focus on design and developing solutions in a complex world
- Student-led STEAM extracurricular clubs: AI, UI/UX, Medical Careers Club, Environmental Action Initiative, Empty Bowls, and more
- UKMT Mathematics Challenge and Math Field Day event
- Annual Big Science Day event with notable guest speakers
- DP students share their art portfolios each year in a state-of-the-art studio located in the heart of Tokyo
- MYP Design program and labs for design technology, digital design, and programming
Highlights from the High School
- Leadership opportunities and development in an all-girls environment in academic and extracurricular settings
- Student-led and initiated extracurricular clubs: TEDxSeisen, Anti-Racism Education Alliance, Worthy Purpose Club, and more
- Competitive athletics program with participation in local and international leagues
- Duke of Edinburgh Award program
- Commitment to service through action
- Robust choral and instrumental programs
- Vertically-designed advisory system for peer support
- Experiential learning classes set within the regular schedule
- Dedicated grade level trips within Japan and internationally
- Extracurricular offerings including MUN, Debate, Speech, Brainbowl, and more
As we reach the end of the first semester, it is helpful to remind ourselves of the role of feedback in supporting learning.
As we start the new year, MYP students and teachers look for fresh ways to put the students at the center of the learning.
Grade 11 underwent a whole afternoon of orientation where they learned all about the CAS program and started thinking about what they might do for each strand.
How to motivate yourself after a long summer break
Seisen students continue to shine in global IB-DP results.
Procrastination is often a result of feeling overwhelmed. You have two years of content to study, so where to start. Follow these steps.
Technology enhances learning and supports development of ATL skills.
There are a variety of things that could happen at a national or individual level between now and the Spring exams so I have tried to anticipate these and provide answers as best I can.
IB Diploma Porgramme Coordinator Mr. Dean Bevan answers question from Grade 10 students and parents to help them make better choices moving foraward.
An outline the IB Diploma Programme course selection timeline.
This is your first time through the DP, but not your teachers so utilize them.
Learning is enhanced through partnerships between students, parents and teachers.
The IB has made an important announcement about the May 2023 IB DP Exam Session
Sharing of information between students, school and parents help ensure success for students in the IB Diploma Programme.