Support to help you grow
The school counselors strive to develop the whole student on her journey through Seisen. Our goal is to help students focus on academic, personal/social, and school/community development so they achieve success in school and are prepared to lead fulfilling lives as responsible members of society. Working together as a team with the school nurse and the learning support facilitator, the counselors provide caring concern and practical support so that students can grow and thrive.
- Learning how to learn
- Gaining confidence in their abilities
- Recognizing one's learning style
- Developing time management skills
- Communicating with teachers
- Revising and taking tests
- Forming meaningful friendships.
- Being empathetic and showing respect
- Resolving interpersonal conflicts
- Understanding group & family dynamics
- Recognizing and preventing bullying
- Becoming safe and responsible users of technology
- Self-esteem building
- Effectively managing stress
- Developing positive coping strategies
SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Recognizing a community/world issue of personal importance
- Contributing in some way to an important cause
- Helping others in need
- Joining others in making a change for the better
- Taking on a leadership role
Areas for growth:
In Mr. Carroll's 5th grade class, the students engaged in lessons using both lemons and the story, "The Sneetches," by Dr. Seuss, to better illustrate racism and stereotypes.
This blog discusses the various kinds and definitions of abuse. We, as teachers, are mandated reporters, and when abuse is suspected, we are obligated to act. School counsellors play an important role in this process, and will also begin implementing a curriculum designed to keep kids safe.
I believe it's even more important to recognize the good that we see.