Support to help you grow
The school counselors strive to develop the whole student on her journey through Seisen. Our goal is to help students focus on academic, personal/social, and school/community development so they achieve success in school and are prepared to lead fulfilling lives as responsible members of society. Working together as a team with the school nurse and the learning support facilitator, the counselors provide caring concern and practical support so that students can grow and thrive.
- Learning how to learn
- Gaining confidence in their abilities
- Recognizing one's learning style
- Developing time management skills
- Communicating with teachers
- Revising and taking tests
- Forming meaningful friendships.
- Being empathetic and showing respect
- Resolving interpersonal conflicts
- Understanding group & family dynamics
- Recognizing and preventing bullying
- Becoming safe and responsible users of technology
- Self-esteem building
- Effectively managing stress
- Developing positive coping strategies
SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Recognizing a community/world issue of personal importance
- Contributing in some way to an important cause
- Helping others in need
- Joining others in making a change for the better
- Taking on a leadership role
Areas for growth:
I believe it's even more important to recognize the good that we see.
For children, coming to terms with the loss of a someone or something close to them can be confusing and hard to comprehend.
While I have witnessed what I believe to be benefits to an all-girls education, I've come to understand that the male population can, at times, buffer some of the "drama" that seems to unfold more frequently among even the youngest of females.
As such, the capacity to be empathetic may be in embedded in our very DNA, but our actual display of this trait/behavior is shaped by our environment and our experiences.
We hit the ground running in Grade 5, as their current Unit of Inquiry, Human Growth & Development, is nearing its end (booo!).