Purposeful, structured inquiry is the leading pedagogical approach of the PYP. This student-centered learning approach challenges students to engage with significant ideas and is characterized by students taking an active role in:
- exploring, wondering, questioning
- building on prior knowledge and making connections between previous understanding and current learning
- deciding on appropriate sources of information, evaluating and using it to extend prior knowledge
- collecting information from primary and secondary sources to support inquiries
- clarifying existing ideas and deepening understanding
- solving problems in a variety of ways
The starting point is students’ current understanding and the goal is the active construction of meaning.