KG Montessori/PYP Calendar 2017-2018
Middle School Arts
Through Art and Design we are able to explore and communicate our feelings and ideas in original ways. As an essential part of our culture, the visual arts enable us to appreciate the artistic expressions of other people. Artistic learning is not an automatic consequence of maturation and needs to be facilitated through instruction. The role of Art and Design in the curriculum and the contribution it makes to a student's educational growth is valuable and, in many respects, unique.
Seisen’s Art and Design program covers a variety of two- and three-dimensional experiences designed to improve each student's skills and awareness. It assists individuals in attaining a level of competency in a range of experiences and activities and, as a result, enables the student to select appropriate and adequate means of artistic expression. It brings about an ever increasing self-disciplined involvement with the visual arts appropriate to the ability of each student. Conceptual learning, problem-solving and evaluation are integral to the design process across the Visual Arts subjects offered at Seisen.
Middle School Visual Arts prepares students for the rigors of the IGCSE Art and Design course, and the International Baccalaureate Visual Arts Diploma program. These are important years in building confidence and a knowledge base that equips students to undertake further studies at a higher level.
Students undertake a general program investigating a variety of skills ranging from drawing, photography, painting, printmaking, ceramics, sculpture, fibre arts, and visual communication and design in order to:
- Exposure to a variety of media and techniques.
- An ability to incorporate design elements and principles into their artwork.
- Opportunities to create with a wide range of materials, subject matter, symbols and ideas.
- Critical skills to assess the characteristics and merits of their work and the work of others.
- An understanding of the visual arts in relation to history and cultures.
- The capability to make connections between visual arts and other disciplines.